Thursday, April 3, 2008

Gobble, Gobble, TURKEY!!!!

Turkey might be one of those places that no one expects to be enjoyable, I know I use to think it was almost third world, but if you go there you will be corrected because it is so lively and cultured and everyone is hospitable.  As far as the architecture, Istanbul would give the Cathedrals of Europe a “run for their money.”  You can’t fully appreciate the level of detail and meticulous craft of these places.  Going to Istanbul made me think more about Islamic architecture and to really look at it and decode the separation between the sacred and profane.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and can’t wait to get back there one day.  If you have a chance to go I would jump at the chance.  One of the best if not number one trip of my study abroad time! Below are some sketches and fun things we did during our time there.

-------------------------------------------------

As a side note one of the things that I thinking of in relation to architectural theorists because you can't help but think about the structure and ask questions is that Ruskin was all about building that stayed true to there form without and ornamentation that didn't help the structure function.  While he might not agree with all the detailing, Mosques would fit in his description of "true to form" buildings.  I wonder what he would say?


--------------------------------------------------


The Blue Mosque was my favorite Mosque in Istanbul.  The structure is huge and has this interaction with the Hagia Sophia which is across the garden.  The shell of the building is mesmerizing with all of its domes.  

The Yan Cami or "New Mosque" was right on the river and was the first mosque we entered while in Turkey.  It was friday and we got asked to leave for prayer.



The Hagia Sophia is one of the oldest churches in the world and is really decaying.  I can see why the dome has collapsed two time before.  The massive size is really apparent from the interior.  Still there is beautiful detain inside.


This is the Mosque by the Grand Bazzar and the last Mosque we entered before our departure.  The structure was simpler that the one we saw previously, but one of my favorites.  The detailing was ver intricate and the Mosque seemed to be more local than a tourist attraction.


Ahhhhh......The RUGS!!!!  You can't go to turkey with out going to look at the rugs.  And you can;t look at rugs and not want one.  That exactly what happened to me and I came home with a souvineer for life.  These were the two rugs that I was choosing between.  I ended up getting the green one on the bottom and I'm really happy.  
~ DISCLAIMER ~
WARNING: Turkish People are VERY GOOD Salesmen.  
(if you don't want to spend money, go somewhere else) 










1 comment:

Arch Blogs said...

Excellent work on the blog! I look forward to reading you post on Morocco. Anaother Poem...?